If you recently have started investing in your marketing strategy, you may be wondering how to quantify the success of your strategy. Website growth does not happen overnight. Search Engine Optimization is a key part to any successful business, however, the results take time. Learn more about metrics you should be paying attention to quantify the success of implementing an SEO strategy into your marketing plan.
How To Track Success
A key part to understanding whether your marketing strategy is successful is to look at the numbers. If you’re new to marketing, you may be wondering, how do I track the growth of my website? There are endless ways to track your website’s growth. However, Google has a variety of free platforms that you can link to your website and customize to measure your website’s growth over time using Key Performance Metrics (KPIs). To start, Google Analytics is a fantastic tool that will collect basic website data both in terms of traffic and your audience. You can strengthen your tracking by adding Google Tag Manager, which will allow you to customize the metrics that Google Analytics measures.
Basic KPIs To Be Aware Of
Based on your industry, there are dozens of different metrics you may be interested in tracking for your business. However, when you first get started with Google Analytics, here are the major metrics to be aware of:
- Sessions: A session occurs when someone opens a page on your website. This is a key metric because it can reflect overall interest levels for your service or product.
- Traffic Source: The traffic source is how someone finds your website. Key traffic sources include organic, direct, and referral.
- Conversions: Conversions are whatever you quantify as the end goal of your website. This could be someone making an online purchase or submitting a contact form. You can customize these with the help of Google Tag Manager.
Key KPIs You May Be Overlooking
Every business is different, which means that certain data points may mean more to some businesses than others. However, if you’re someone who is numbers-based, make sure you’re not overlooking these important KPIs on your analytics platform.
- Average Engagement Time: Average engagement time simply displays the amount of time each visitor spends on your website before leaving. If your engagement time is only a few seconds, you may want to reconsider your website design to better display your business purpose and call to action.
- Clicks vs. Impressions Ratio: You may notice that certain pages on your website have a high number of impressions, but a significantly lower number of clicks. Simply put, this is normal. Not everyone who sees your content is going to be interested in your product or service. This metric can help you identify what services are popular and what services are underperforming.
- Bounce Rate: The bounce rate represents the percentage of website visitors who open your website and immediately leave. If your bounce rate is more than 50%, it may indicate that your website is having a technical problem, or that your website is not being presented to your target audience.
Get Professional Marketing Help By Contacting Boston Web Marketing
If you’re someone who is new to marketing, or not great with numbers, keeping track of the KPIs that are most helpful for your business can be difficult. At Boston Web Marketing, our team of marketing professionals can help you build your online presence using a numbers-based approach.
We specialize in creating a customized marketing approach based on each business’s individual goals and objectives. Whether you’re a brand new company hoping to build up your reputation, or a long-standing company looking to take your marketing strategy to the next level, Boston Web Marketing can help. To get started, give us a call or fill out a contact form today.