HTTPS stands for Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure which is a more secure version of HTTP for websites. In 2014, Google announced on their Webmaster’s Center Blog that HTTPS will be considered as a ranking signal. It’s important to stay up-to-date with all of Google’s updates and algorithm changes for SEO purposes. Some people may not be aware of the impact that HTTPS has on a website. Check out the SEO Benefits of HTTPS.
- HTTPS verifies that the website is the one the server it is supposed to be communicating to.
- This security protocol is able to protect a website from 3rd parties going in and tampering data.
- HTTPS protects private information like users browsing history, passwords, and credit/debit card numbers.
- Google did confirm that once a website has HTTPS it will increase their rankings by a small amount.
- When traffic passes through an HTTPS website, it will save any referral traffic info.
HTTPS is a far more secure system for your website to operate, especially for e-commerce websites where users enter any personal information. If you are interested in purchasing an SSL certificate for your website you can contact your hosting company for pricing!