Breadcrumbs or a “breadcrumb trail” is a secondary navigation plan to shows users their location on a website. Breadcrumbs are best for businesses with large websites containing a vast amount of pages, like e-commerce websites for example.
What are the benefits of breadcrumbs?
- Help users navigate through a site
- Limit the number of actions required to find their higher-level page
- Reduce a websites bounce rates
- Show users what page they are currently on
- Help user trace back to their original landing page
When should you use breadcrumbs?
Breadcrumbs are an extra feature for sites that need it. Don’t feel like you have to have this feature for your website, it is not meant to replace your primary menus. If you are wondering if your site needs breadcrumbs build a sitemap or take a look at your sitemap, and see if breadcrumbs would enhance users navigation experience.
The image below is an example of breadcrumbs being used!