Search Engine Optimization is so useful that by now every major business, organization and local company has incorporated it into their online marketing strategy. This means that business owners have been writing a lot of content and incorporating keywords that are relevant to their business in order to rank higher in search engines.
There is a different side to SEO that most businesses forget to focus on, and that is Local SEO. Local SEO is the process of optimizing a business for a specific geographic location (typically where the business is located in) in addition to a specific category or service provided.
There are many advantages to focusing on Local SEO.
- Less competition. If you try to compete for a keyword related to your products on a national scale, you’ll be fighting every similar company in the country, especially bigger corporations.
- Local visibility. If you are publishing interesting and valuable content about your city or town, you are more likely to get noticed by the locals. Hosting a local event? Sponsoring a little league team? Post these accomplishments on your website and social media and engage your community!
- Target Mobile Users. This is a huge advantage because 46% of searchers use their phones to look for products or information. Mobile devices are also local specific, meaning that there is typically a 5 mile radius on local search engines such as Google, Bing and Yahoo – meaning if someone is searching for a local barbershop, you have a higher chance of showing up on their searches.
What you need to do.
- Be sure that all local profiles are claimed
- Sign up for all local directories such as Google My Business, Yelp and TripAdvisor
- Be sure that the company of your name, number and address are all consistent throughout the web
- Have a strong social media presence
- Get involved with your community. The more you give back or show your dedication to your local customers, the more likely people are going to choose YOUR business over another!