One of the most important decisions when setting up a blog is where you should host it. If you make the incorrect decision, you may not reach your expected SEO benefits. However, if you do this right, you may immediately see incremental visits that you might not have seen without the blog.
The 3 Main Blog Hosting Options
1. Subfolder – http://www.domain.com/blog
2. Subdomain – http://blog.domain.com
3. Separate domain – http://www.newdomain.com
Which is the Best Blog Option for SEO?
It’s tough to say which method works. Let’s explore the pros and cons of each.
- Google will crawl the posts within a day of launching
- Integrate better with main site
- Easier to monitor with Google Analytics
- Technically easier for some setups
- Will not rank as highly as a subfolder
- Needs to establish its own reputation through backlinks
- Helps to control and generate external backlinks
- Create a more differentiated brand identity
- Can target a different country
- Requires a long-term commitment to generate content and backlinks