The subject line of an email is very important. This is your attention grabber. This short sentence is what will pull the reader in and hopefully turn into a conversion. The best email subject lines are typically short, descriptive and provide the recipient with a reason to open your email.
Here are some helpful tips on what to avoid in your subject line:
- DON’T WRITE IN ALL CAPS
- Avoid spelling mistakes – this is a big turn off to readers
- Don’t use the phrase “Open Me!”. This triggers spam resulting in opt-outs
- Don’t give away everything in your subject line. Try to leave a little room for the imagination.
- Don’t use one word and don’t use too many words. A subject line should be 50 characters or less.
At this point, you are probably asking, “So what is considered a GOOD subject line?” Here are a few tips for a successful subject line in an email:
- Ask a question
- Target the audience by speaking directly to them
- Use intriguing promises to your recipients (don’t confuse this with spam keywords!)
- Give them a teaser!
- Use keywords related to your business
- Use a command