Working within SEO can be difficult. SEO’s are expected to jump into a sites current situation and the save the day, by raising rankings and increasing traffic. The number of different aspects within a website that needs to be edited, added or altered is impossible to list.
Luckily, with simple website access and experience, there are a few things you can do by yourself. Here are four simple SEO tactics which all SEO’s work on and you could as well:
Title Tags: Title tags are extremely beneficial to a website’s SEO success. The problem with these titles is that many website developers will just toss in random titles without considering how it will affect the site’s SEO ranking. Title tags are coded into the back end of your website and pop up into search results as the leading title element. Here are some simple rules for optimizing your title tags:
- Make Your Title between 50-60 characters long. Any longer and it will be cut down by SERPS and any shorter and you won’t be utilizing all of the tag’s SEO potential.
- Be sure that your title flows smoothly, by including important keywords you are looking to get found for and accurately describing the text on your page. Each title tag on your website should be unique in its own way.
- Place your business name at the end of each tag, by separated by a vertical line (|).
Meta Descriptions: Right below title tags in search results, you will see meta descriptions. In the back end of your website, you will want to add between 150-160 characters worth of text here. Try your best to include relevant information from the page, and important keywords you are looking to get found for, while doing your best to sell your page to a potential user.
Add Internal Links: Every website needs to be crawlable, meaning that people and search engines can easily and quickly visit every page and all the content on your website. Important links throughout your website gives your site a high crawlability score to Google. The important links we are talking about are not the navigation links in either header or footer menus, but specific text links within paragraph text (Every website should already have a main menu linking your website together). Here are some quick rules you can follow about internal linking:
- Avoid linking to your homepage.
- Avoid linking to your “about” page.
- Try linking to internal, content-rich pages.
- Shoot for 2-4 internal links per page when possible.
Optimize your H1 Tags: H tags are HTML code that helps identify major headings within your content. H1s are the most common H tag that have been used for years. Here are some common problems that we have seen with H1’s
- Multiple H1’s: More than one H1 tag could be decreasing its overall SEO power. Each page should only have a single H1 tag.
- H1 Length: If your H1 tag is only one word, you are not utilizing its potential. While we want to be sure our H1s are longer than one word, be sure they aren’t exceeding 70 characters.
- Duplicate H1’s: Google does not favor websites that have duplicate content throughout their website. This is the same as H1 tags. Do not duplicate them.
SEO is an in-depth and complex animal. The few basics of on-page SEO above, have a considerable impact on your website. These four steps can be a solid foundation towards increased rankings and more business through your website.