If the internet is an unknown, foreign land – search algorithms are a map. Day in and day out, Google’s search algorithms help guide countless internet users to their desired search results. With such an immense amount of information soliciting the internet, Google search algorithms lend a hand; to help declutter, and pinpoint the best results for search engine users. When the internet (and inevitably search engines) became more ubiquitous, search engine algorithms have gradually followed behind them. Over time, these algorithms have certainly gotten smarter, filtering out unwanted search results that include spam and other black hat (or disapproved) SEO tactics. Google continues to improve their algorithms as time goes on.
What are Some Black Hat SEO Tactics That Google Filters?
- Keyword stuffing (overusing keywords on a site to increase web traffic)
- Duplicate content (plagiarizing you or other’s content)
- Hidden text (hiding text from plain sight to manipulate search results)
- Link farming (the practice of buying more than one domain to attract more traffic)
It may go without saying, but you certainly want to avoid all of these SEO tactics at all costs. Not only is it immoral and unethical, but you and your site can suffer penalties as a result. If you want to achieve heightened web traffic and concrete SEO success, it’s best to refrain from black hat SEO altogether.
What Exactly are These Algorithms?
Algorithms (plural). It’s important to note that these algorithms are essentially an accumulation of filters, factors, and components, not one standalone item.
According to Google, when you make a search query, the factors that determine the results include:
- Meaning of your query (what was the intent behind your search?)
- Relevance of webpages (using keywords, the algorithm asserts how relevant a webpage is to your search)
- Quality of content (the algorithm identifies the most reputable sources)
- Usability of webpages (how navigable is the webpage for users?)
- Context and settings (have you searched for this before? where are you searching from/what is your location?)
As all these different variables are pertinent to Google search results, it’s smart to optimize your website on the basis of them. You can begin with what you can control:
- Quality of content
Reassure that your page doesn’t suffer from the likes of thin content or duplicate content. Provide a facelift or improvement to text, images, and other content on your website if they are in need of it.
- Usability of webpages
If your website is difficult to navigate, for any reason, it is mostly in your hands to improve its usability. In any case, the more usable a website is the better.
Contact Boston Web Marketing
If you’re looking to increase your website’s traffic and visibility, we are here to help. Contact us today at Boston Web Marketing to get started on increasing your SEO strategies. You can give us a call at 857-526-0096 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.