All platforms will update their algorithms periodically to keep up with the changing habits of their users. Instagram is no different. Whether you are a marketing professional or simply an Instagram user, you probably noticed the recent updates to Instagram. Depending on what the platform is prioritizing, this can impact the factors considered by the algorithm.
For the sake of this post, we’re focusing on the algorithm for static feed posts on Instagram. Continue reading to learn more about relevant KPIs, engagements, and tips to improve your Instagram posts.
Recent Instagram Updates
Instagram has really shaken up its platform since the beginning of 2022. Constant adjustments are being made to keep users interested and deliver the best possible experience. A few significant updates have been made that are worth noting:
- Instagram now lets you choose between a “Favorites” feed and a “Following” feed that does not have as much algorithmically suggested content.
- More suggested content is found in the default feed, prioritizing Reels.
- Prioritizing original content
- De-prioritizing content with visible watermarks from other platforms
- Improved content categorization
What Impacts Feed Posts?
There are five main interactions the algorithm considers when prioritizing content in the default feed. This includes time spent, likes, comments, saves, and taps on profile.
Adam Mosseri, Head of Instagram, has stated, “the more likely you are to take an action, the more heavily we weigh on that action.” The algorithm tries to predict future actions based on previous actions and a few other factors.
These factors include:
- Information about the post, such as the type of post, what time it was posted, and how many likes it already has
- Information on the poster, such as how interesting their account is to you, whether they’re your friend, and how often users interact with their content
- Your typical activity, such as whether or not you watch videos and the type of content you typically engage with
- Your interaction history, including how often you like or comment on a user’s posts
In all, Instagram pays attention to the way its users interact with other users. This gives them the ability to suggest content you are more likely to be interested in and filters out content you are likely to ignore.
The quality of the post, whether or not watermarks are present if the content is original, and timeliness are also considered for all posts, regardless of the above factors.
Important Engagement Tips
Engagement is crucial for Instagram posts, as we have mentioned. There are a few things to keep in mind when creating your content that have to do with engagement. When creating content, consider the following:
- Does this post have information someone would want to save and refer back to?
- Is this post likely to be commented on?
- Is there a Call-to-Action on this post that drives users back to your profile or website?
Improve your Instagram Posts with Boston Web Marketing
With Google and all of the social media platforms constantly changing their algorithms, it can become a lot to keep up with. Let the experts at Boston Web Marketing do all of the heavy liftings for you. If you’re ready to improve your Instagram KPIs, give us a call today.