Social media is an important part of any marketing strategy, but did you know that most digital marketers use just about any social media platform to improve their SEO?
Many social media platforms are used has high ranking backlinks and citations as Google indexes inbound links to your website. But more active social media channels have been found to improve organic search rankings, per Hootsuite, a social media aggregation software company. Hootsuite ran an experiment and found that social media platforms with more frequent content had higher organic search rankings. Furthermore, the findings indicated that one key factor improved organic ranking for businesses that frequently posted:
Yes, social can help with SEO. But that shouldn’t give you a free pass to over-post and spam people’s feeds. If you do that, you risk annoying followers. And then they might ignore your posts, or worse, stop following you entirely. Quality of posts—not quantity—is key. Yes, regular posting is important, but if you’re not offering your audience value there’s no point.
The general idea is that frequent, relevant, and high-quality content on social media channels can help boost SEO. However, there are other tactics that you can use on posts, videos, and other social media publishing tools to help improve the visibility of your business or website.
How can I optimize popular visual social media platforms?
Two of the most popular social media platforms, Instagram and YouTube, leverage the ever-growing trend of visual social media engagement. More and more people are looking for content that is more visual based, which makes Instagram and YouTube a strong opportunity to capture your users’ attention.
A few methods to optimize content on either social media platform includes the following tactics:
- Provide schema markup containing your Instagram and YouTube profiles, as well as your flagship social profiles (Facebook and Twitter)
- Use a balanced keyword-rich bio on your Instagram profile and description on your YouTube channel, respectively.
- Create high-quality videos and photos that are easy to follow while also engaging. For videos, try and keep the length at 30-45 seconds on Instagram and between 1-2 minutes for most YouTube videos.
- On Instagram, your caption acts as a title tag so make sure it is short and to the point with the proper keyword. Additionally, provide relevant hashtags after the copy on your post. While there is no penalty for hashtags a good range is 7-14 hashtags. Whenever you create a new post, link it across your other social platforms.
- On YouTube, make sure that your video has relevant tags, descriptions, hashtags, title, and keywords. YouTube provides publishing services that allow you to further optimize your videos and promote visibility.
How can I optimize other social channels for SEO?
Flagship social media platforms including Facebook and Twitter can also be optimized to improve your website’s SEO. While the quantity and engagement of posts improves SEO there are a few other ways to give your site an SEO bump:
- When building out social profiles make sure that your business information, URL, and NAP are filled out accurately.
- Create a solid frequency of social media posts: on Facebook that can be 1-2 posts a day; 5 a week. On Twitter that frequency can be increased to 3-4 a days; 12 a week.
- Quality is a key factor in social media-based SEO so make sure your posts are optimized with an image, relevant content, and a possible call to action (blog, learn more, call, schedule).
- Make sure that your social media profile is listed on any business listings, your Google My Business page, and other linking domains.
If you have any questions about social media for SEO purposes, please contact Boston Web Marketing for a free consultation!