Google Maps recently added a new feature which is a keyboard based navigation controls to the desktop version of Google Maps. Now, without using your map, you will now have the ability to pan and zoom in and out without using your mouse. This keyboard will now allow you to search and find specific places like neighborhoods, transit stations, businesses, and restaurants.
Yesterday, Google displayed instructions on Google Plus on how it works:
- On your keyboard, press Tab to focus the map: an area of the map will be highlighted with a square.
- Below the square, there will be a numbered list of places in that area.
- To move around the map, use the arrow keys. To move the map by one square, hold down Shift while using the arrow keys.
- To zoom in or out of the map, press + or -.
- To learn more about a place, press the number associated with the place.
This new feature on Google Maps will make it easier to learn and explore the area around you!