Chances are that if you want to keep your website active and current, you have a blog on the site which you update regularly. At least you should!
Updating your blog on a regular basis not only keeps the content on your site fresh, but it can also draw continued traffic if it’s interesting and readable. Here are a few tips for developing a style for your own blog.
- Reflect the tone of your site and think about your audience. If you run a scholarly site, you probably want to adopt a more formal tone, if you’re selling product you might want to go for something more informal and descriptive. Think about the ultimate purpose of your blog.
- Read a lot of stuff! Look at how others write their blogs or read news articles or books. You can learn a lot about writing styles just by reading.
- Pay attention to comments. This is a great way to discover which blogs your readers respond to. Try to keep that style going.
- Be vivid with your language choices. The more colorful and active your style, the more apt people are to read and come back for more.
- Before you post it, get some feedback. Another set of eyes is always helpful and can provide some valuable input.
Over time, you’ll find your voice.