Not all SEOs play friendly and black hat SEO is something that needs to be defended against so your website does not become victim to these tactics that could severely damage your website and it’s rankings. By keeping an eye on different parts of your website, you can catch negative SEO before they harm your website to the point of no return.
1. Perform regular link audits. Google Webmaster ToolsUsing , you can easily monitor the back links to your website to see if they are quality back links or not. If they are not, you can use the Google Disavow tool to communicate with Google and inform them not to take these back links into consideration.
2. Check your site speed. Having a fast loading website is an SEO ranking factor. If your site is slow to load, the user experience is poor and the likelihood of them coming back is minimal. If your site becomes sluggish, a crawling software can be used across your website to see what’s bogging it down. Sometimes a website becomes sluggish if it has fallen victim to black hat SEO.
3. Monitor Google My Business. Negative reviews can negatively impact your ranking and can negatively impact your business. By responding quickly and in a professional manner, it shows that you care about how people view your business and allow you to learn from any mistakes in the future.
4. Check your rankings. If you see drastic (negative) changes in your search engine ranking, this could be a result of a negative SEO attack. If you do see this happen, check your robots.txt file within your Search Console to make sure it is set up properly.
5. Upgrade your security. A SSL Certificate is an extra layer of security that you can add to your website through your hosting company. WordPress has recently released a statement that in the year 2017 they are going to require all users to have an SSL Certificate installed on their accounts. This might be an added expense, but it also saves you from a lot of headaches and is also a key ranking factor with the security of the website users in mind.
It’s best to keep an eye on your accounts and Google Webmaster Tools in case anything does happen, you can recover from the issue in a quicker manner.
Duplicate content can be something that causes a lot of