Does your website have a lot of content but not many of them are read or get shared? Then, it might be the time to do a content audit and clean up your old blogs, especially if you are in a constantly changing industry like digital marketing. Of course, you have the option of keeping under-performing blog posts on the site but that may lead to higher bounce rates and hurts your domain authority with Google.
In addition to that, Google and readers love fresh content. If compelling and fresh content is published, it has a higher chance of ranking higher than low-quality content. That is why dates are shown in every single result on the SERP. Your page’s ranking will drop if the low-quality content was published and people are not clicking on it.
How to tell if your blog is popular
So, in order to tell if your content is compelling or not, it is important to install Google Analytics on your website in order to see which of your blog posts has the most traffic.
How to improve old content
If you find that you have a lot of underperforming content, you can update the content or use a 301 redirect to a new piece of content that will perform better.
So here are some recommendations on how to approach it:
- Make sure the URL is SEO-optimised by using long tail keywords instead of just a set of numbers. This can be changed under settings and under permalinks. It is highly recommended to change to just post name.
- Evaluate what your competition is doing well for their pages to be ranking high for the keywords you are aiming for. How many words do they have on the page and what images are they using. How many links are on the page, whether it is internal or external.
- Update your meta title and descriptions in order for them to be indexed better by Google
- If you have any images on the blog post, write or update any alt-text that was used
- Once you have done all that, change the date of your blog post.
- Post the revised blog to your social media and engage with your followers. This is done to bring traffic from your social media pages to your website.
- Create an email list if you have one and let people know new content is published.