We, along with everyone else involved in the SEO world, have been advocating mobile friendly sites; we have recommended to our clients to switch over to responsive and mobile friendly sites, as more and more users are conducting searches with smartphones and tablets. Here’s just a little fun fact: Walmart reported that 70% of their holiday traffic came from mobile users! Jut think if your site isn’t mobile friendly, you’re missing out on a huge traffic channel; we suggest investing in a mobile friendly site ASAP.
Google Analytics will show you the the monthly mobile traffic (or lack thereof if you don’t have a mobile friendly site) your site has received over the last month.To see your sites mobile organic traffic, which is probably the most important channel, you can finagle and use filters within Google Analytics to see just Organic Traffic.
Here’s how to view your Mobile Organic Traffic:
- Follow this think: google.com/analytics
- Sign in with your Gmail account and password
- Click on the site you want to generate a report for
- On the left hand side, click on Audience ⇒ Mobile ⇒ Overview.
- Once you’re in the Overview section of your Mobile Traffic, click on Second Dimension (which is located just underneath the line chart) From there, select “Acquisition” and click on Medium or Source Medium. This will tell you which searches were organic, direct, referral, etc.
- You can filter this out even further by removing non-organic traffic. To do this click on advanced, which is located to the right of the search bar (on the same line as Second Dimension), select Include (left hand side), select Source or Medium, select containing, and then type in “organic”
- You should also add a second filter and remove desktop searches: Select Exclude, Device Category, select Containing, and type in “desktop”
- You can look at the current month, and compare it to last quarter/last month/last year, to compare results. You do this by selecting the date on very top right of the page, select compare, and from there you can enter past dates you want to compare with the current month.
With this advanced and filtered search, you can now gather a better picture of how well or poorly your mobile site is performing, Organically!