How many unread emails do you have in your inbox?
Now, think of your subscribers… How many unread emails do you think are sitting in their inbox?
As consumers, we receive a ton of emails, and as digital marketers, we send a ton of emails.
What makes your email stand out from the next email that gets left unread? Your subject line.
No matter what anyone says, people judge email newsletters by the subject line. This is the first, and possibly last, impression on users, and is a key factor in someone opening your email.
A majority of email recipients decide whether to open an email newsletter is based on the subject line, making it imperative to write a compelling subject line that sparks curiosity.
What makes a great email subject line? The same energy you put into your titles for your blog posts, or your captions on Instagram, or the content that goes in your email newsletter, is the same energy you need to invest in your subject lines.
Some essential elements you might want to include in your next email’s subject line are:
- Keeping the subject line short and simple – Don’t give away every detail in the newsletter’s content.
- Adding a Sense of Humor – A funny subject line sticks out among the dry emails that flood a user’s inbox.
- Adding Personalization – Adding “you” and “your” humanizes your email and helps users connect to your brand, rather than feeling like a robot is reaching out to them.
- Asking Questions – The best way to spark curiosity is by asking a question. Your users will want to click the email to find out the answer.
- Using Scare Tactics – You don’t want to raise eyebrows or scare customers away, but including “last chance,” or “missing out” will have users in a frenzy to not miss out on a deal.