Although blogs have a reputation for being an online diary for individuals to share their lifestyle and experiences, they are becoming increasingly popular among businesses to share information on their website. As a marketing tool and a way to further optimize a website and improve rankings, there should be no question about whether or not you set up an on-site blog. Not only do blogs allow businesses to show their personality, but they are also a way to engage users, increase leads, and improve the rankings for the keywords that are being highlighted.
What is an On-Site Blog?
An on-site blog is a portion of your website that is updated on a consistent basis – whether daily, weekly, or monthly – with new information including tips and frequently asked questions. These posts tend to be a little more informal than the rest of the information on the website and they are more conversational.
Benefits of Blogging
There are numerous benefits to having a blog on your website, including:
- Improved rankings. Focusing on blog topics that highlight the services and/or products your business offers, allows you to further target industry-related keywords which will further help increase your rankings. The content you add is building authority while marketing your business as an expert.
- Increased traffic. Blogging allows you to build value for your users and by sharing posts on social media and platforms such as Pinterest, the posts you write are always accessibe by users off of your website. Not to mention, as you improve your content and the blogs are showing up on search result pages, users are able to stumble upon your website even years after the post was originally published.
- Opportunities for sharing. If you are creating valuable content on your blog for your users, you are creating the opportunity for those users to share your content on their social media platforms as well as with friends and family. This is a great way to gain free marketing and validate your business.
How to Get Started
While there are hundreds of thousands of resources for starting a blog on your website that are free to your disposal, start with the following:
- Plan your blogging strategy
- Perform keyword research for your industry
- Generate blog topics and a content calendar
- Create the content
- Publish and promote your content across social media