Google has started testing a new feature in their reporting and tracking platform, Google Analytics. This new feature, which is now in beta, is called Google Signals which offers cross-device reporting and remarketing capabilities. Google Signals allows Analytics users to take advantage of enhanced advertising features that will ultimately allow users to better understand customers across multiple devices. Google Signals will upgrade existing advertising features to enable the following:
- Remarketing With Google Analytics – Users will be able to serve ads in cross device-eligible remarketing campaigns to Google users who have turned on Ads Personalization.
- Advertising Reporting Features – Analytics will collect additional information from those who have turned on Ads Personalization with a focus on advertising relations.
- Demographics & Interests Reports – Google Analytics will gather additional information about users who turned on Ads Personalization.
- Cross-Device Reports (beta) – Google Analytics models behavior for a whole user based across different device types.
While fairly new, it is essential to activate Google Signals for cross-device reporting and remarketing. Google chimes in, with a help document, explaining the dependency of users who turn on Ads Personalization by saying:
“When users turn on Ads Personalization, Google is able to develop a holistic view of how those users interact with an online property from multiple browsers and multiple devices… Because of the large volume of data generated by users who have turned on Ads Personalization, Google is able to estimate from that data the cross-device behavior of your entire user base.”
If you are interested in activating this latest Google Analytics feature, follow the steps below.
- Sign in to Google Analytics.
- Click Get Started in the blue notification banner at the top of the page, or go to Property column > Tracking info > Data Collection and follow the prompt in the blue dialog.
- Review the different information and activation panels.
- Read the information about Google Signals and click Continue.
- Activate Google Signals.
At the moment, this feature is still rolling out, so if you do not see it in your Analytics account just yet, give it a couple of days and you will soon see this latest reporting feature!