Whether your business is small or large, search engine optimization (SEO) is vital to increase organic (unpaid) visibility of your business. It’s how you reach potential customers who don’t know who you are yet and how you come up when an individual submits a query on a search engine. Whether you know a thing or two about SEO or this is your first time hearing about it, it’s important to always start with the basics when implementing an SEO strategy on your website.
What is SEO?
Search engine optimization is the process of implementing several techniques on your website to maximize the number of people you reach organically, grow your brand presence, and develop better search rankings.
How to Improve Your SEO
The best, and easiest way, to improve your SEO is to improve the quality of your content by lengthening your content, incorporating keywords, and ensuring you’re targeting your ideal client. Consider the way users would search when titling the content on your website and always try to incorporate your keywords into the page title and header tags!
For example, if you’re writing a blog post about tires, incorporate “tires” into your title! “The Best Snow Tires,” “How to Repair a Flat Tire,” etc.
Identifying the keywords you want to target is crucial when optimizing your website and writing content that will rank on search result pages. The keywords you want to rank for might not be ones that users are searching for, making keyword research an imperative step when putting together your SEO strategy.
How to Narrow Down Your Keywords:
1. Make a list of all of the services that your business offers and the keywords that relate to your brand
2. Open Google and start submitting search queries for the services and keywords your business offers to see who your competitors are and where you’re currently ranking
3. Use a keyword research tool to figure out how people are searching and the volume of searches for the keywords you wrote down in step one
4. Make sure to have both long tail and short tail keywords to target a variety of searches made by different users
5. Once you have a list of keywords that you want to be ranking for, start incorporating the keywords into the content on your website, the titles, and your header tags
Why Does SEO Matter?
Search engine optimization not only benefits you as a business owner, but also benefits the user by providing them with high-quality content for the searches they are making. Good SEO also makes for great user experience, which will help convert the users to your website into paying customers.
Tips for Better SEO
When it comes down to it, having good content on your website will vastly improve your SEO. When creating new content for your website or re-writing the current content, consider the following tips:
- Create an eye-catching title that is both relevant and intriguing.
- Is your content laid out in an appealing way? Is it easy to read? Are users able to share it easily?
- How long is your content? Short content isn’t ideal for good SEO so if you have pages with only a paragraph or two, consider re-writing them! This will allow you to expand on the services and products you offer while also giving you more opportunities to include your keywords into the copy.
- Break your content up into paragraphs, bulleted and numbered lists, add in images, and use header tags to make your content easy to read.
- Keep your URLs short and make sure they have relevant keywords!
Don’t have the time to create or implement an SEO strategy on your website? Let our team at Boston Web Marketing help! To get your free website audit or to learn more about our SEO services, give us a call today at (857) 526-0096.