Search engine optimization is very important for websites, including blogs. Along with unique content to rank high in users minds, there are many ways to rank high on search engines. So what exactly do you optimize? Follow these 5 simple SEO practices when writing your next blog!
1. Keyword Research – Creating a quality blog starts with researching and understanding the keywords that your customers are using to search for your products and services. Mistakes that you’ll want to avoid are choosing over-specific keywords, keywords that are not concise enough, and keywords that are not relevant to your business.
2. Generate an XML Sitemap – Generating an XML sitemap ensures that your content is understood by search engines and helps it rank better. An XML sitemap is a list of URL’s from a site, with data that search engines can use to crawl the site.
3. Fix URL’s – URL’s are very important when it comes to optimizing a website. Having unnecessary characters or numbers may affect how your website is understood by search engines, making it harder to crawl and index. Make sure that all URL’s are clean and clear to also help your users find and navigate your site.
4. Add Title Tags and Meta Descriptions – Each page on a blog needs a title tag, which outlines what is on the page. Pages also need meta descriptions, which outline in greater detail what the pages are about. To help SEO, add specific keywords to both title tags and meta descriptions.
5. Add Internal Links – Internal links help both search engines and users navigate a website. They provide other useful information related to the blog, and also help with rankings.
6. Mobile Responsiveness – Making a blog mobile responsive helps users and SEO rankings alike. Mobile friendly sites make it easier for visitors to navigate, allowing them to visit more pages with ease. Also, with Google’s Mobile Friendly Algorithm, mobile friendly sites now rank higher than non-mobile responsive sites.